A small fire was reported at a Bend home last night after it was struck by lightning around 2:15 a.m.
The storm woke Roger Oleman, the owner of the home at 59946 Minnetonka Circle. Soon after he smelled smoke emanating from his garage, according to a Bend Fire Department news release.
When a fire crew arrived they found a small fire burning in the ceiling of the garage.
Fire officials determined a finger of lightning struck a tree very close to the house. The lightning then extended into the garage through an opening in the siding of the house, according to the release.
“The garage was not finished with a fire resistant material such as sheetrock,” the press release noted.
The garage sustained about $1,500 in damages.