It's not all about full albums. Much of the time, bands put out some of their best work in short form. Here's a list of 2012's best EPs. Oh— and just like with everything else— scope out the Spotify playlist.
1. Rublebucket- Oversaturated (Sin Duda Records)
This Brooklyn band is one of the hardest bands to pin down. They are one part bohemian jazz, one part Afro-Cuban and one part dance pop. But the bottom line with these guys is, when they play live, no one cares what genres they employ. Their music is simply some of the best jump-up-in-the-air-and-high-five-your-friend stuff you’ll find. Their EP Oversatured is more of the same kind of magic they’ve been putting out for the last few years. It’s Bright brass, poppy bass, and titillating synth, supporting punchy poetic lyrics.
2. Daniel Rossen- Silent Hour/Golden Mile (Warp Records)
3. Andrew Bird- Hands of Glory (Mom + Pop Music)
4. Punch Brothers- Ahoy! (Nonesuch)
5. Yellow Ostrich- Ghost (Barsuk Records)
6. Blackbird Blackbird- Boracay Planet (Lavish Habits)
7. Dum Dum Girls- End of Daze (Sub Pop Records)
8. Humans- Traps (Independent)
9. Atlas Genius- Through the Glass (Warner Brothers)
10. Cashmere Cat- Mirror Maru (Pelican Fly)
Note: Humans's EP Traps was not available on Spotify