The Latest Socialist Threat: Carbon Monoxide Detectors | The Wandering Eye
The Source Weekly’s reporting is made possible by the power of your support. Be a part of it!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Latest Socialist Threat: Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Looks like conservatives in Oregon have found something else to get outraged about - government-mandated carbon monoxide detectors.

Posted By on Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Looks like conservatives in Oregon have found something else to get outraged about - government-mandated carbon monoxide detectors.

It seems state Rep. Carolyn Tomei (D-Milwaukie) has introduced a bill stipulating that no house that contains a carbon monoxide-emitting device (a gas fireplace or heater, for instance) can be sold unless it has a carbon monoxide detector. Tomei's measure also would require landlords to install and maintain such detectors in properties they rent.

Which has Steve Buckstein all bent out of shape. Writing on the conservative Oregon Catalyst blog, he asks: "Oregon legislators surely know that this recession has led to a slower housing market than most of us can remember. So why are some of them trying to dampen home sales even further?"

He goes on to argue that "the cumulative effect of such regulations will be to make selling - or buying - a home harder and harder."

Now, since you can buy a carbon monoxide detector for under $20 - even less in quantity - it doesn't appear to The Eye that the cost is likely to prevent anybody from buying or selling a home ... or even that the "cumulative effect" would amount to much if, say, the state required a carbon monoxide detector in every room.

But what seems to really bug Buckstein is that Tomei's legislation is an example of what conservatives love to call "the nanny state" sapping our "personal responsibility." He writes that "personal responsibility is apparently a fragile thing, and I fear that the risk of ceding too much responsibility to the government is a worse danger than [carbon monoxide] gas."

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, approximately 170 people are killed in the United States every year by carbon monoxide from malfunctioning heating devices and other sources in the home. We doubt that many are killed by "ceding too much responsibility to the government."

But tellya what, Steve - if anybody feels that having a carbon monoxide detector in his home or apartment is an act of intolerable tyranny by the "nanny state," he can always unplug it.

Pin It

Comments (4)

Showing 1-4 of 4

Add a comment

Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-4 of 4

Add a comment

Newsletter Signup

Get Central Oregon daily news
directly in your inbox

More by The Source Staff

Latest in The Wandering Eye

  • Moonshine Magic in Bend Still on the Down Low

    • Aug 9, 2012
    Get ready for our great close-up on the home distilling community out next week in our "Best of" issue. We interviewed a mixed bag of legal and anarchist distillers in Bend to find out why distilling is so very, very against the law in one's home. More »
  • The Eye Wanders Off Into the Sunset

    • Dec 26, 2010
    I’m really sorry to break the bad news to them during this season of peace and goodwill, but after this week the right-wingers in Bend and vicinity won’t have The Wandering Eye to kick around anymore. The decision to stop writing this blog was my own, and it was prompted by several factors. More »
  • DADT, Gay-Bashing and the "Icky-ness" Factor

    • Dec 19, 2010
    For the past week or so, “Zeo” of the NW Republican blog has had his jock strap in a knot over the prospect of Congress repealing the military’s “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” rule. To hear Zeo tell it, if DADT is repealed and gays are allowed to serve openly in the US military it will mean the end not only of our armed forces but of America, its economic system and civilization in general. More »
  • More »

© 2021 LAY IT OUT INC | 704 NW GEORGIA AVE, BEND, OREGON 97703  |   Privacy Policy

Website powered by Foundation